Home Sam's BIO Sam's Sources Appearances Hot Items Tips News Technology Corner Site Map / Links
Sam Memmolo

Poisonous to Pets


food items & misc

Bird Owners Look here

Poison Control Link

Azalea - entire plant, Cardiotoxic.  Can affect the heart, produce vomiting, drooling, diarrhea, weakness and central nervous system depression.  Severe cases could lead to death from cardiovascular collapse.
Boxwood Leaves - Boxwood is a common hedge
Caladium - entire plant
Castor Bean - all parts, mostly the seeds
can produce significant abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhea and weakness, dehydration, tremors, seizures and even death.
Chinaberry Tree - berries, flowers, leaves
Cocoa Bean Mulch - see below
Cycads - can result in liver failure
Daffodil - bulbs
Dieffenbachia - entire plant
Elephant Ear - entire plant
English Ivey - berries and leaves
Fertilizer - see below
Foxglove - Cardiotoxic, can affect the heart
Holly - berries
Hyacinth - bulbs
Hydrangea - entire plant
Lily - certain species can cause kidney failure
including Easter lily, tiger lily, rubrum lily, Japanese show lily and some day lilies if ingested. Lilies rank # 1 in dangerous plant call volume at the APCC.
Signs of toxicosis, such as vomiting, lethargy and loss of appetite, may appear within a few hours of ingestion, and will continue to worsen as damage to the kidneys progresses. If left untreated, kidney failure can develop in 36 to 72 hours. "Unfortunately, all parts of the lily are considered toxic to cats," says the APCC's Dr. Sharon Gwaltney-Brant. "Consuming even small amounts can be life-threatening."
Lily of the Valley - Cardiotoxic, can affect the heart
Mistletoe - berries
Mushrooms - both toxic and NONTOXIC can cause liver failure
Oleander - entire plant, Cardiotoxic, can affect the heart and can cause irritation of the gastrointestinal tract or hypothermia
Philodendron - entire plant

Poinsettia - entire plant
Rhododendron - Cardiotoxic, can affect the heart

Rhubarb Leaves - can cause kidney failure
Sago Palm - can potentially produce vomiting, diarrhea, depression, seizures,  melena, icterus, increased thirst, hemorrhagic gastroenteritis, bruising, coagulopathy, liver damage, liver failure and even death.
Wisteria - seeds
Yew - Cardiotoxic, can affect the heart

If you suspect that your animal companion has eaten a poisonous plant, call your veterinarian or the APCC's emergency hotline-- (888) 4-ANI-HELP --for round-the-clock telephone assistance. 

Some items in everyday life

Antifreeze - all kinds, even the ones that claim nontoxic - they all kill, some slower than others
Avocado - Guacamole,
produce cardiac tissue damage, respiratory distress and mammary gland damage --including dogs, horses, goats, sheep, cattle, rabbits, fish and birds."
Bread Dough - As alcohol is produced, the dough expands. Pets experience abdominal pain, bloat, vomiting, disorientation and depression.

Chocolate -
Theo bromine can induce irregular heartbeat, irritate gastrointestinal tract, and trigger epileptic seizures
Cocoa, Cocoa Powder & Baking Chocolate -
more intense than chocolate
Cocoa Bean Mulch - vomiting, diarrhea,  tremors, seizures and death

can cause severe gastric upset & gastrointestinal obstruction
Flea Control -
read the label, dog flea control
can be lethal to felines
Grapes -
and rasins enough can cause kidney failure
Herbicides -
read the label
Insecticides -
read the label  Disulfoton
MothBalls - toxic to dogs, cats and other animals  (Naphthalene & Dichlorobenzene)
Onions / Onion Power / Onion flavoring -
thiosulphate in the onions can cause hemolytic anemia
- and grapes enough can cause kidney failure
Sugar-free sweetener - XYLITOL -
sudden drop in blood sugar, resulting in depression, loss of coordination & seizures.

If you suspect that your animal companion has eaten a poisonous item, call your veterinarian or the APCC's emergency hotline... (888) 4-ANI-HELP --for round-the-clock telephone assistance. 

For more information on what's toxic and what's not--and what you can do to prevent your pet from being poisoned--visit APCC online.

Disulfoton is a very potent systemic organophosphate insecticide that works by affecting the nervous systems of insects,  disulfoton’s neurologic effects are not limited to bugs.  Dogs, cats and other pets can be susceptible to poisoning as well.  Depending on the amount ingested, this insecticide can cause vomiting, diarrhea, elevated heart rate, difficulty breathing, muscle weakness, tremors, seizures, coma—and potentially, death.

* Read and follow label directions for safe use and storage.
* Potted roses and certain other plants may have already been treated with disulfoton prior to being sold; please check with your local nursery or lawn and garden store beforehand, so you can be sure to plant them in areas inaccessible to pets.
* Disulfoton may be mixed with organic fertilizers, which can be attractive to dogs.
* If you use disulfoton, ensure that it is applied only in areas that are completely inaccessible to animals. Store unused product in a secure container or cabinet out of pets’ reach.

If you suspect that your pet may have ingested a product containing disulfoton—or any other potentially toxic substance, contact your veterinarian or the APCC’s 24-hour hotline at (888) 426-4435.

Bird Owners...Keep these in mind...
Foods & Beverages that could be dangerous to BIRDS ...
alcoholic beverages
chocolate (in any form)
moldy or spoiled foods
potato leaves and stems
rhubarb leaves
tobacco (cigarettes, cigars, snuff, chewing tobacco)
tomato leaves and stems
yeast dough

Also see...Great Pet Names - Hot Rodders Adoption - Pet News & Info - Humane Laws - Sam's Charities

aug 2008

Home Sam's BIO Sam's Sources Appearances Hot Items Tips News Technology Corner Site Map / Links
SRM Marketing Services, Inc. 2014
TV's "Shadetree Mechanic" Master Mechanic, ASE Certified Auto Repair Technician, of
 "MotorHead Garage", "Crank & Chrome", "My Classic Car", "2 Guys Garage", and Sam's Garage Radio Shows
Share Sam Memmolo's specialties, Classic Cars, Streetrods, Auto News, Repair, Maintenance, Products & Entertainment